We are currently seeking volunteers to help us with the following initiatives.
Peer Volunteer–Housing Toolkit
Up to 5 positions, 5 hours per week (August 28 to September 28, 2018), Aurora location
If you have a mental health and/or addiction diagnosis and have past or current experience with the shelter system, subsidized housing, and/or are renting from a private owner, we need your help.
We are looking for 5 volunteers with lived experience to help us collect information and build a variety of peer-based housing tools so that we can help others thrive in the local housing system.
The resources you develop will be available to others in a housing toolkit which will be made available to individuals across York Region through a new YSSN peer-based initiative called the Up Hub.
- Have lived mental health/ addictions experience
- Able to connect with people in similar situations
- Are able to listen to, and collect, personal stories
- Are comfortable with storytelling, participating in focus groups or survey collection
If you are interested in applying for this volunteer position please send us a letter outlining your interest in this opportunity, as well as any experiences/skills you have that would make you a good fit.
Inquiries and letters of interest can be sent to Silvia at: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 3, 2018.
Up Hub Advisory Committee Member
Do you want to be a part of something big in York Region?
Do you have experience with the mental health system and feel there needs to be more tools and supports available to promote mental health wellness and recovery?
Accessing mental health support can be a long and isolating process. That's why, at York Support Services Network (YSSN), we are looking for energetic community members like you, to help build our local Up Hub initiative.
The Up Hub is a new community initiative that will bring people with similar experiences together to ”Up-lift” one another. The hub will serve as a central point of access for online and in-person peer-based tools and supports that will help build a meaningful life.
As a committee member you will help steer the exciting direction of the Up Hub. Your input will help grow this initiative so that it can connect people with lived mental health experiences to peer-based support. You will be a part of a movement that broadens mental health support to include community and peer-led tools and resources.
How to apply
Interested people should:
- be a resident of York Region;
- have lived mental health and addictions experiences; or be a caregiver to someone who is living with a mental health condition;
- can commit to attending two meetings* per month (Aurora location) from Sept. 2018 to Jun. 2019; and
- ideally has experience with Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP®) and/or has experience with mental health/addictions recovery.
If this sounds like you, submit a letter outlining how you and your experiences can help the committee build the Up Hub's direction in the local community. Send your letter to Silvia at email@example.com by September 10, 2018.
*Refreshments served at all meetings. Bus tickets available.